Thursday, March 22, 2012

1875 Madeira



Seriously.  1875 Madeira.  18-freakin-75.  Now this is bar research I can really wrap my head around.  I have a dear friend Stewart Todd who is a Port/Sherry/Madeira geek, and that is putting it lightly.  Stewart is a contributor to the beloved website www.fortheloveofport.com  and that is just a hobby.  One that he happens to be really good at.  Recently he and his lovely wife Jody invited me over for dinner and towards the end of the night as we were sitting around, Stewart poured me a mystery taste.  The acidity and wonderful aroma jumped out of the glass and wrapped itself around me like a hug.  I am not skilled in the department of estimating wine age but I promise you, that even the best of them would not have ever accurately guessed.  If I hadn’t known better, Stewart might have swapped out what was inside with something brand new.  This Madeira was 137 years old and tasted amazing.  I’m not sure when/if I’ll get another opportunity to taste something like that.  Clearly I need to stay in the good graces of the Todd's.  He is of course is trying his best to convince me to have something like that behind the bar to have available for other eno-nerds.  We’ll just have to see about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment